These are some of the toxic chemicals to be aware of that may be lurking in your bathroom:
1) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate: Found in: Makeup, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soaps. Potential toxic effects include: skin and eye irritant, organ system toxicity, potential environmental toxin.
2) Propylene glycol: Found in: Makeup, toothpaste, and deodorant. Potential toxic effects include: Linked to skin and immune system toxicity and allergies, high level irritant to skin, eyes and lungs, organ system toxicity.
3) Phthalates and Parabens: Found in: Anti-perspirants and deodorants, lotions, soaps, makeup, hair products, and toothpaste. Potential toxic effects include: Endocrine disrupters (mimic estrogen in the body), significant wildlife and environmental disruption, strong immune system and allergen response, biochemical/cellular level changes, interferes with gene expression.
4) Synthetic Fragrances: Terms like “fragrance” “parfum” can mean one or more of about 200 different chemicals used in cosmetics. Look for scents derived from essential oils. Found in: Cosmetics, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, and soaps. Potential toxic effects include: Wide variety of side effects that ranging from carcinogens, to skin irritation, headaches, dizziness, and rashes.
5) Petrolatum, mineral oil, and paraffin: Found in: Lip gloss, shaving cream, and mascara. Potential toxic effects include: Immune system and respiratory toxicant/allergen, organ system toxicity, potentially carcinogenic, high probability of chemical contaminants, prevents the skin from breathing properly.
*You can find more information on all of these ingredients and many more. Put The Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Cosmetic Database into your search engine for information on chemicals to be aware of.